Product Comparison: NETGEAR EX7700 vs NETGEAR EX8000
About the Product
Nighthawk X6 AC2200 Tri-band Wi-Fi Mesh Extender with patented FastLane3 Technology boosts your Wi-Fi to super-fast speeds up to 2.2 Gbps. This Nighthawk Mesh Extender creates powerful whole home Wi-Fi using your listing Wi-Fi.
Nighthawk® X6S AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender with Patented FastLane3 Technology boosts your WiFi to the extreme with speeds up to 3Gbps. This Nighthawk Mesh Extender creates powerful whole home WiFi using your existing WiFi. EX8000 is one of the most advanced tri-band WiFi mesh extenders that includes a dedicated 1.7Gbps 5GHz band for extending Internet speeds to your devices.
5GHz: up to 867 Mbps, 2.4GHz: up to 400 Mbps, LAN: up to 1000 Mbps
2.4GHz: up to 400 Mbps, 5GHz: up to 867 Mbps, 5Ghz: up to 1733 Mbps
What customers say about "Key Specs"
- Following setup I had full signal bars and near enough full speed at the furthest point of the house in the corner of the extension.
- Highly recommended worth every penny it utilizes all of its Tri bands x3 to make sure all devices are spread out on various bands giving full bandwidth ,perfect for gaming and steaming hi definition content seamlessly.
- It boosted my WiFi signal as required and allowed really good download speeds for devices connected which previously struggled to connect to the Virgin Hub.
- Wow I did a speed test ,before I had really poor wifi at 7 mbps , now I have 56 mbps I highly recommend this extender
- I was never happy with my Sky router speeds but this ensures I'm on the best channel all the time and my speeds have gone from intermittent 5-25 to constantly over 30.
- After a fairly easy setup and getting good throughput speeds the wifi loses connection with the router and all devices connected to this extender get zero bandwidth.
- Decided To place it on top of a wall unit in the living room and now I have blowing off the scale WiFi in every room, and it’s definitely faster than it was.
- I did a walk round test with my phone, then tablet and there is no variation in signal at all. No dropped connections, no hassle. I can highly recommend this product.
- The signal was full all round that area and the download speed was electric. I could hardly believe it.
- Ultimately, the extender makes any Wi-Fi issues far worse as half the time it will now not work route internet traffic at all, not just the previous reduced speeds without it.
Size & Weight
What customers say about "Size & Weight"
- I have personally switched off the 2ghz signal and only used the 5ghz. This allows all my devices to run really fast up to 864mb, which for a wireless device of this size is awesome.
- Compact size, easy setup and reliable. Would recommend.
- It is not too large so appears unobtrusive.
- Don't underestimate its size it works brilliantly. Had to manually set this up rather than use WPS and it took less than 2 minites and was so easy to do.
- NETGEAR could improve it by making it smaller. A tidier, more compact power solution would also be an improvement.
- I was surprised at the size and weight of this Netgear Nighthawk X6S, neither is insignificant.
- The Netgear is great and I would highly recommend. Only real drawbacks are its size and price.
- This product was easy to set up and is smaller than I expected.
- The device itself is surprisingly big and heavy - bigger and significantly heavier than my Virgin Media box.
- I suspect that the majority of the weight is due to a very large heatsink, which leads me to suspect that the processor on this thing is probably quite powerful.
Number Of Antennas
Encryption & Security
WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK, WEP
WEP, WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK
2 x Ethernet port (RJ45)
4 x Ethernet port (RJ45)
Router link LED, Client link LED, WPS LED, Ethernet LED, Power LED
Link status LED, Maximum throughput LED, 2.4 GHz LED, 5 GHz LED, Client link LED, USB LED, Ethernet LED
Smart roaming with one Wi-Fi name, FastLane3 technology, Smart connect, Creates a whole home Wi-Fi system
FastLane3 technology, Smart roaming with one Wi-Fi name, One Wi-Fi name with any router or modem router, ReadySHARE® USB Port, Quad-core processor
What customers say about "Features"
- Super easy to setup. I already have a Nighthawk router and everything just works seemlessly together, including being picked up by the phone app.
- The manual setup was really easy and you can also get an app then to tell you how busy your wifi area is with the signals so you can change it on your router for a better signal still!
- Unobtrusive and reliable and with a decent wifi switching app it means i can use tablets and phones anywhere in the house without touching the device wifi settings.
- The app doesn't show much and doesnt really give you any options to change anything, the installation was pretty bad using both the WPS on the netgear and WPS on my brand new virgin box, they couldn't pair!
- The Netgear app that is used for configuration is very basic and the user manual is not very informative.
- I live in a bog standard 3 bed semi. Sky is my internet provider using a Sky Q HD box which is in my upstairs office so I can use an Ethernet connection for my laptop.
- Connectivity includes 4 ethernet ports, one USB (2.0 I think) and WPS, power and (recessed) reset buttons. Not bad!
- This extender has a USB port for a USB printers, and four ethernet ports - not tested for this review but I like the number of ports.
- Almost 1000sq ft covered. Only no app for iPhone which is a shame.
- The indicator lights on the front are meaningless as they constantly show everything is OK and working well, when in truth it is anything but.
Warranty / Certifications