Product Comparison: Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 vs GoPro Hero7 Black
Garmin VIRB Ultra 30
GoPro Hero7 Black
- The actual camera fundamentals are very good in terms of picture quality, screen, waterproof, neat size.
- The size is more suited to mounting on your motorbike helmet or on the handle bars of your bicycle.
- Its small size, the fact it's waterproof and the vast array of accessories that means you can use it when undertaking all sorts of activities.
- Very light and portable and really really easy to take. I love it so much that I can’t leave home without it.
- I should have appreciated just how small this thing is; it's a bit too small for my fat fingers.
- The results are, as expected, very good, with the picture quality being very sharp, colour definition good and even the sound quality being quite remarkable given the compact size of the device.
- The touch screen is great once you have downloaded the latest firmware via the Gopro App.
- The touch screen is nice and clear and is easy to use once you familiarise yourself with the menu and settings.
- Nice to have a black and white front-screen indicating a few parameters.
- Unstable at times. Showed a frozen picture on the back screen a few times, or refused to switch off (had to take battery out).
- Impressive digital image stabilisation. Attached to a bike handlebar, video is stable even when cycling on rough paths and camera is shaking badly.
- Can select wide or narrower view in some picture/video modes. Optional h265 video recording (more efficient than h264, smaller files).
- If you are desperate for an action camera with the best built-in stabilisation and best video quality, then this is what you need.
- If h265 is selected as a video codec, previews of videos on the phone is not possible requires full download.
- Video is okay, but it is very prone to lens smearing so take a cloth, and the stabilisation can't cope with a handlebar mount.
- I have a great WI-FI signal using an iPhone and it downloaded and installed quick and easy the firmware.
- The 'hypersmooth' makes for a gimbal like feeling, even when holding in the hand and the colour quality even at deeper water is amazing, a quick post production colour correction and its all back.
- It stands I'm very pleased and really like the additional shots I can get with the wide angle and slow-mo functionalities. The image stabilization also appears to work wonders.
- Not usable in water because the screen changes itself when it gets wet, ie turns from video to photo or any other setting it chooses.
- Voice commands were poor and not understood. I have a Welsh accent and had to speak in Queens English for it to understand the commands.