The link chains are welded and have a square shape. They are made from hardened steel and are almost uncuttable.
It boasts the new “Pass-Thru” crossbar design that provides advanced protection against twist and single cut style attacks.
The cable could be longer.
It's a Sold Secure certified lock (Gold rated) that offers the highest level of security, which makes it great for use in high-theft areas.
U-Lock / Cable
12.7mm hardened steel shackle, 120-cm steel double-loop cable with vinyl coating
Chain, Lock, 2 keys
The lock is very lightweight and flexible. Plus, it uses not 4 but 5 digits, so it's nearly impossible to decode.
The cloth sleeve fades over time.
If you want a light and reliable backup lock that can help you secure the bike frame and wheels, the Blusmart BIC00039 is a good choice.
7mm hardened steel chain with flexible cloth sleeve (length - 90 cm)
Combination lock with chain
Abus Folding Lock BORDO GRANIT XPlus (6500)
First of all, this top-of-the-line lock is really compact, sturdy, lightweight, and flexible. You can either wrap it around the seat tube with non-slip velcro straps or screw the case into braze-ons meant for a water bottle holder. To make this folding bike lock as reliable as possible, the plates are made of hardened steel and the links are based on ABUS Link Protection Shield technology which provides additional protection against drilling. The cylinder lock, by the way, also ensures the highest level of security against manipulation. On top of that, we can add that the steel plates are coated with a two-component polymer coating which prevents possible damage to the bicycle paintwork.
The bonus? The Abus bike lock comes with a convenient bag for transportation and two keys, one of which is LED-lighted. Thanks to the cards with the unique lock code, you can always order replacement keys in case the originals have been lost. Don't think twice, get the ABUS Granit Bordo X-Plus.
Interesting to Know
|Last updated price||$0.00|
|Stock||May be out of stock|
Withstands any Snapping Attempt!
The Oxford Heavy Duty OF159 is one of the most reliable bike locks to protect your two-wheeler from theft. The chain is manufactured from hardened steel that is extremely strong and durable, making the lock virtually uncuttable. You can be sure that the lock will easily survive an attack from a saw, hammer, drill or even a cutting disk without any sign of damage. Very few locks are that strong, believe us.
The locking mechanism of the Oxford Heavy Duty OF159 features steel components as well, which is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. The good part is that they make it stronger; the bad part, steel tends to rust over time, so proper maintenance is required to protect it from quick wear and tear. Make sure to oil the locking mechanism from time to time and it will serve you for years to come.
Another thing we like about this lock is that its lock shackle is fully covered, which means if you ever get caught by the rain on the road the moisture won't be able to get inside it. By the way, the chain itself is also protected - it comes in a special nylon cover to prevent scratches.
The lock is available with the following chain lengths: 1 metre, 1.5 metre, and 2 metres.
- A 1-metre option will be great for one bike. Its chain is long enough to go around your cycle's front tyre and frame (but not up to the back tyre).
- A 1.5-metre model can cover your bike completely, including a back tyre. With it, you'll be able to secure both wheels and brakes. It's also a good match for motorbikes.
- The longest, 2-meter lock works well for chaining two bikes together through the ground anchor.
Do note that all these options feel really hefty and solid, so they may be too heavy to carry around regularly. You can, however, leave the chain at home and carry only the lock (use it as a disk brake lock) if you know for sure that you're heading to low-theft areas.
All things considered, this lock with a chain is great value for the money. It is reliable and solid and will provide your wheeler with top-notch protection. So, if you're in the market for a heavy-duty, robust and secure lock that can't be cut off your bike easily, the Oxford Heavy Duty OF159 is a solid pick.
|Last updated price||£32.88|
Just Register It!
Kryptonite is a big name in the industry of bicycling and security, offering high-quality products and service to give us peace of mind. Buying from Krypton we expect sturdy and reliable products, and it is exactly what we get. To dispel any doubts with regards to the quality of their bike locks, for example, Kryptonite promises to pay out up to £1,000 in case the lock is somehow defeated. For that, though, you need to register your product online first.
Registering the item is not only simple and quick but also beneficial for you. Upon registration, you get the right to request free delivery of a new lock should you ever lose your original one. It's worth emphasising that the "Key safe" program covers only two first keys included in the package, but it is still a nice perk. Both keys have an ergonomic design to reduce the amount of torque and prevent the breakage.
The Kryptolok is a heavy-duty shackle bike lock with the added protection of a 1.2-metre chain. But the cable, in our opinion, is a bit too short to go through the bike frame, wheel and rack. For that extra security, a longer cable is required. Still, the braided steel cable can secure a front wheel or rear triangle of the frame. And since it's wrapped in a protective vinyl coating, it won't scratch anything.
The D-lock itself appears to be pretty indestructible. It's made with 12.7mm hardened performance steel shackle and boasts the patented “Pass-Thru” design. This new design offers enhanced protection against cut and twist attacks.
What is notable, the core boasts a special protective mechanism that prevents dirt and dust from getting inside. This not only prolongs the life of the lock but also minimises the risk of a key sticking inside.
To conclude, it's a Sold Secure certified lock that is gold rated. Gold-rated locks are proved to “offer the highest level of security”, so you can be sure you're getting a sturdy lock suitable for use in high-theft areas.
|Last updated price||£30.24|
If you're planning to leave your bike anywhere for a significant amount of time and looking for an inexpensive backup lock in addition to your main one, you should seriously consider the model offered by Blusmart. It costs a bit less compared to other models from our review yet it offers a really good level of protection.
Made with a 6mm hardened steel chain, it's resistant to sawing and drilling. The chain with thick links feels very sturdy and will definitely take some breaking. So, thieves would have their hands full trying to cut through it.
Still, the chain isn't too hefty like most other locks. It weighs less than 1 kilo, which makes the Blusmart lock quite multipurpose. It's ideal not only for bicycles, skateboards, and some other vehicles but also for sports equipment, gates, fences, grills, lawnmowers, tools, tool boxes, ladders, the list goes on.
The negative part is, the Blusmart BIC00039 is susceptible to rust, however, this is a common problem of all locks. So, it's essential to take measures and grease the open metal bit occasionally. On the bright side, the manufacturer has covered the lock with a special waterproof and dustproof finish and equipped it with a flexible cloth sleeve which helps prevent the detrimental effect of the environment thus contributing to its longer service life.
How to Set it Up
As you've probably noticed, it's a smart 5-digit combination lock that doesn't use any additional keys. The only key here is your memory.
- Set the combination wheels to 00000. Take note that the 00000 must be aligned to the arrow triangle sign.
- Keep the default password when turning the knob. Open the lock.
- Turn the knob 90° clockwise from the default position until it stops.
- Set the dial wheels to your prefered combination, making sure all the numbers match the pointer.
- Once you have set your own digital combination, turn the knob counterclockwise back to the original position. That's all. The new combination is set.
|Last updated price||£8.59|
|Stock||May be out of stock|
OnGuard Bulldog Combination U-Lock (LK8012C)
Protected by Bulldog
This very model is called Bulldog Combination U-Lock Cable Combo. As the name suggests, it's a U-shaped lock combined with a durable braided steel cable. So, you get two levels of protection in one compact device! Note that the lock operates with a code mechanism, so all you have to do is set a four-digit combination. No more keys to forget! The superior protection from pick attacks is provided by a special steel ball click-combo gear system, while ultra-hardened steel shackle guarantees maximum cut resistance. As a bonus, the cable can not only secure the wheels but also prevent them from spinning when the bike is installed on a car rack.
The lock boasts a double rubber coating to protect your bike from unwanted scratches. And of course, like all OnGuard Locks, the Bulldog Combination U-Lock is completely protected from moisture and dust. Finally, we would like to add that the lock set includes a multi-position mounting bracket for convenient transportation.
The OnGuard U-lock along with a super-sturdy steel cable is a rare beast that is just unbeatable! Don't hesitate any longer. Provide your bike with luxury protection!
Bicycle Capital of the World
|Last updated price||£22.09|
What Is a Bike Lock?
Safety comes first, especially when it comes to the protection of your vehicles. A mind-boggling fact is that more than 1.5 million bicycles are stolen each year. And the best precaution against a theft is to buy a reliable bike lock. Today, bike locks come in a wide variety of styles and shapes. To understand which one will suit your bike best, you should measure your bike first and decide on the type of installation. If you want to secure only one wheel and a frame, you can opt for a simple lock. But in case you need a bit longer reach, you should consider a lock with a chain.
For this review, we have rounded up the strongest locks that can cater to any need and type of bike. They have undergone expert testing and have been proven to be very effective and secure. So, by choosing one, you can have a piece of mind, knowing that your two-wheeler is well-protected while you're away.
In addition, we recommend you to consider bike pumps for a comfortable and hassle-free ride.
What Features to Compare
Today, the market offers a great number of bicycle locks with different protection levels. So, to choose the right lock, you need to decide what level of protection you actually need.
- U-Locks are the most secure and theft-proof locks on the market. They are made of uncuttable materials and are very convenient to use. U-Locks come in various sizes, yet, you should choose the rigid one that will sit tightly on your frame. U-locks are perfect for high-risk areas.
- Chain Locks are also considered to be super secure anti-theft equipment. No wonder, they are recommended for use in areas with high crime rates. However, their reliability often depends on the type of steel, the thickness, and the overall lock quality.
- Cable Locks are a more versatile option, but not the most reliable. Yes, they are fairly lightweight, compact enough, easy-to-use, also they might be cheap, though, they offer very little security. Thus, for greater reliability, they are often combined with U-Locks. Generally, cable locks are recommended for use in low-risk areas.
- Folding Locks consist of linked metal plates. Hence, they can be folded compact for transportation. Also, they are not heavy, and like U-locks, they offer a great level of security. Plus, they are pretty flexible, which means you'll have more options as to how to lock your bike.
- Wheel Cuffs Locks. Such locks resemble cuffs, one end of which should be fixed to the frame, while the other fixed to the rim, thus blocking the movement of the bicycle. However, the wheel lock does not prevent thieves from carrying a bike in their hands, so this type of lock is not recommended as the only secure lock.
- Locking skewers for Seats. They work in a great number of ways. For example, some of them use non-standard keys, while others can use gravity to lock the levers.All of the mentioned locks are most common, however, nowadays you can find locks that do not fit into any category. In addition, the locks may have a key or code mechanism. Here the choice depends on your taste, whether you prefer using a key or a code combination.
Material and Set
As it was mentioned above, the bicycle safety depends on the material. Make sure that the lock has been manufactured from high-quality steel. It will be much more difficult for thieves to cut strong and thick steel. Also, pay attention to the set. It will be great if a lock comes with a few keys and protective pouch.
As a rule, the weight is often directly proportional to the reliability. We mean that a strong thick steel lock can weigh quite a lot but boasts a great level of protection. Therefore, you need to decide whether you need a light portable (< 12 mm) lock or heavier and more reliable one (> 12 mm).