What is a Bike Lock
A mind-boggling fact is that more than 1.5 million bicycles are stolen each year. The best precaution against a theft is to buy a reliable bike lock. So, if you’re hunting for a good quality bike lock, we suggest you look through our review of the strongest locks!
In addition, we recommend you to consider bike pumps for a comfortable ride.
What Features to Compare
Today, the market offers a great number of bicycle locks with different protection levels. So, to choose the right lock, you need to decide what level of protection you actually need.
- U-Locks are the most secure and theft-proof locks on the market. They are made of uncuttable materials and are very convenient to use. U-Locks come in various sizes, yet, you should choose the rigid one that will sit tightly on your frame. U-locks are perfect for high-risk areas.
- Chain Locks are also considered to be super secure anti-theft equipment. No wonder, they are recommended for use in areas with high crime rates. However, their reliability often depends on the type of steel, the thickness, and the overall lock quality.
- Cable Locks are a more versatile option, but not the most reliable. Yes, they are fairly lightweight, compact enough, easy-to-use, also they might be cheap, though, they offer very little security. Thus, for greater reliability, they are often combined with U-Locks. Generally, cable locks are recommended for use in low-risk areas.
- Folding Locks consist of linked metal plates. Hence, they can be folded compact for transportation. Also, they are not heavy, and like U-locks, they offer a great level of security. Plus, they are pretty flexible, which means that you'll get more options how to lock your bike.
- Wheel Cuffs Locks. Such locks resemble cuffs, one end of which should be fixed to the frame, while the other fixed to the rim, thus blocking the movement of the bicycle. However, the wheel lock does not prevent thieves from carrying a bike in their hands, so this type of lock is not recommended as the only secure lock.
- Locking skewers for Seats. They work in a great number of ways. For example, some of them use non-standard keys, while others can use gravity to lock the levers.All of the mentioned locks are most common, however, nowadays you can find locks that do not fit into any category. In addition, the locks may have a key or code mechanism. Here the choice depends on your taste, whether you prefer using a key or a code combination.
Material and Set
As it was mentioned above, the bicycle safety depends on the material. Make sure that the lock has been manufactured from high-quality steel. It will be much more difficult for thieves to cut strong and thick steel. Also, pay attention to the set. It will be great if a lock comes with a few keys and protective pouch.
As a rule, the weight is often directly proportional to the reliability. We mean that a strong thick steel lock can weigh quite a lot but boasts a great level of protection. Therefore, you need to decide whether you need a light portable ( 12 mm).
First of all, this top-of-the-line lock is really compact, sturdy, lightweight, and flexible. You can either wrap it around the seat tube with non-slip velcro straps or screw the case into braze-ons meant for a water bottle holder. To make this folding bike lock as reliable as possible, the plates are made of hardened steel and the links are based on ABUS Link Protection Shield technology which provides additional protection against drilling. The cylinder lock, by the way, also ensures the highest level of security against manipulation. On top of that, we can add that the steel plates are coated with a two-component polymer coating which prevents possible damage to the bicycle paintwork.
The bonus? The Abus bike lock comes with a convenient bag for transportation and two keys, one of which is LED-lighted. Thanks to the cards with the unique lock code, you can always order replacement keys in case the originals have been lost. Don't think twice, get the ABUS Granit Bordo X-Plus.
Interesting to Know
More Products to Consider
Oxford Heavy Duty
Withstands any Snapping Attempt!
This Oxford bike chain lock is one of the most reliable accessories that can protect your two-wheeler from theft. The 10mm chain links are made of hardened steel and can withstand saws, hammers, drills and even cutting disks. As it has been tested, the only thing that can be seen after bolt croppers and saws is just minor nicks.
The good news is that the lock shackle is fully covered, so even on a rainy day, the moisture won't get inside. By the way, the chain itself is also covered with a special nylon cover to protect your bicycle from potential scratches. The chain length makes 1 meter, and if you need a longer model, you can choose from 1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m and even 2m options. So, if you are looking for a long uncuttable chain lock to secure both wheels and brakes, you are in the right place.
Additionally, we suggest you pay attention to bike covers to prolong the lifespan of your two-wheeled vehicle.
Kryptonite Bike Lock
Forget About It!
Kryptonite is a leading manufacturer of high-quality security accessories for bikes. No wonder the company's locks are among the sturdiest in the market, and this Kryptonite Bike Lock with 4-Feet Kryptoflex Cable is no exception.
The 13mm hardened steel shackle can reliably protect your bike from theft, plus an additional 8mm braided steel cable can secure a front wheel or accessories and since it's wrapped in a protective vinyl coating, it'll in no way scratch your bike. The lock comes with 2 stainless steel keys and supports the Key Safe program, so even if you lose one of the keys, you can order a spare one. Every rider will surely like the fact that the lock includes a new Transit FlexFrame-U transportation system which allows mounting it on the frame for versatile carrying. The system fits most bicycle frames, namely with tubing from 25mm to 80mm.
If you plan to transport your bike (or even several ones) by car, we recommend you to consider getting a bike rack.
Simple but Reliable
The Marsboy TY732 bike lock is ideal for those who appreciate not only reliability but also simplicity and convenience of use. With this handy "defender", you can forget about all those messes with keys while locking and unlocking, since it boasts a combination lock with 5 digits, allowing you to set up to 100,000 possible combinations. However, keep in mind that the digit mechanism is very reliable and if you accidentally forget a combination, you are unlikely to open the lock.
The chain itself is very robust and able to withstand various external impacts and temperature. All of its 17 units are made of durable steel and wrapped in a special protective cover made of non-toxic ABS material. In general, we are sure that you will like this simple yet reliable lock that can be wounded around the frame or bike seat for a comfortable transportation.
How about replacing your old bike pedals? You can find the most comfortable models in our fresh survey.
Protected by Bulldog
This very model is called Bulldog Combination U-Lock Cable Combo. As the name suggests, it's a U-shaped lock combined with a durable braided steel cable. So, you get two levels of protection in one compact device! Note that the lock operates with a code mechanism, so all you have to do is set a four-digit combination. No more keys to forget! The superior protection from pick attacks is provided by a special steel ball click-combo gear system, while ultra-hardened steel shackle guarantees maximum cut resistance. As a bonus, the cable can not only secure the wheels but also prevent them from spinning when the bike is installed on a car rack.
The lock boasts a double rubber coating to protect your bike from unwanted scratches. And of course, like all OnGuard Locks, the Bulldog Combination U-Lock is completely protected from moisture and dust. Finally, we would like to add that the lock set includes a multi-position mounting bracket for convenient transportation.
The OnGuard U-lock along with a super-sturdy steel cable is a rare beast that is just unbeatable! Don't hesitate any longer. Provide your bike with luxury protection!
Bicycle Capital of the World
1. Rylee Sweeney How to Choose the Best Bike Lock, OutdoorGearLab. March 11, 2015.
2. Bike Locks: How to Choose, REI. November 21, 2016.
3. Bike locks buying guide, Wiggle.
4. Paul Smith Buyer's guide to bike locks - video, BikeRadar. September 7, 2015.
5. How to Choose a Bike Lock, Eastern Mountain Sports.