What is a Curling Iron
A curling iron is a popular electronic device, used by women worldwide to create curls and waves of different shape and size. Whatever there has been said about harmful action of a curling iron on the hair, it is definitely gone to the past together with poor quality metal curling tongs. Most modern devices feature either ceramic or tourmaline coating, mildly work on the hair and make it look absolutely gorgeous. A curling iron produced nowadays is safe to use on all types of hair, therefore, you can indulge yourself and make a hairstyle that you’ve always dreamt about without any harm to the hair. In our review, you’ll find a selection of only the best curling irons in the market, so you’ve got an opportunity to choose an optimal solution for your personal needs.
Before curling your hair, you should be sure that it's clean and dry. If you don't have time to air dry it, use hair dryers to save your time.
What Features to Compare
One of the important criteria to consider before buying a curling iron is its Type. The market is overwhelmed with a variety of options available and it’s not surprising why there are so many people who have been disappointed with their choice after blindly buying the one. Ok, let’s look at this characteristic a bit closer. The popular type of a curling iron sold here and there is a classic variant - a metal wand with a heat regulator and a clamp. The obvious advantage of classic curling irons is their overall simplicity of use. It doesn’t require any special skills to wind up the locks and can be used literally by anyone right out-of-the-box. Women who prefer natural curls with more volume at the roots should consider buying a curling iron of a cone shape. But you should be aware that such curling irons may be trickier in use than, for example, irons with a clamp, and can easily burn a hand. The problem can be solved though, with a protective and heat-resistant glove. So, if you’re inclined to buying a conical curling iron, make sure that a chosen device includes a glove. Another popular type of curling irons is spiral. Such irons are used to create elastic, spiral-shaped curls along the entire length of the hair. Different to all other types of curling irons by outward design and performance is a Curling chamber. With this device, you would hardly need to do any action yourself. Once the strand of hair is placed in a chamber, all you need to do is to set the desired direction of a curl and its shape. The device will do all the job for you. As you can see, there’s a vast choice of models to choose from, but now you know what to look for.
Material and Coating of a curling iron is also important. Stay away from metal tongs. They are the main enemy of hair beauty. Not only do they ruin the hair from inside, they also make it look unnatural and messy. Ceramic or tourmaline coating is what you really need. While a ceramic coating is going to be evenly heated across the entire length and ensure elastic curl all way through, tourmaline-coated irons would also generate negative ions and eliminate the frizz.
We’d also like to draw your attention to a number of Accessories, provided with a device. Models with limited functionality aren’t necessarily bad. Women with the normal hair structure can easily opt for this option. However, the owners of too thin and thick hair may want to purchase a curling iron with a heat regulator. The range of temperatures varies from 60 to 200 so that a user has got an opportunity to set the optimal heat for her hair structure. A good bonus to a good curling iron would be a set of various barrels - ribbed, wide and narrow.
And the last, but not the least criterion to pay attention to is Safety of Use. When choosing an iron, it’s worth considering how long the cord is. Ideally, it’s got to be at least 2 m long and it’s got to swivel so that you don’t get tangled while making a hairstyle. If you’d like to purchase a conical iron, pay attention whether the model comes packed with a heat-resistant glove. We’d recommend you to give preference to a curling iron with an auto shut-off function. Such irons usually work for about 72 minutes right along and automatically turn themselves off, so that you’ve got a total piece of mind no matter what.
Xtava Wave 5-in-1 Curler
Increase Advantages by 5 Times
You can’t live a day without experimenting with your hair style but don’t want to buy a bunch of hair tools, right? Here is a solution. Xtava represents 5-in-1 curling tong set to meet all your requirements. As its name implies, the device has 5 attachments. Being different in shape and size, they permit you to make various curls – from loose big curls to tight ones. Use one barrel to style your hair or combine several to get an unexpected result – anyway, you’ll look perfect after using Xtava curling iron.
You might wonder why we are so sure that this tool is awesome. First of all, there are temperature settings to choose the right temperature that suits your hair type. Secondly, ceramic tourmaline technology is a guarantee of harmless treatment of your hair. Due to negative ions produced by this technology, your hair won’t be overdried. One more advantage of Xtava curler is a dual voltage feature that lets you use this tool not only at home but even on vacation in another country. Moreover, it’s easy to transport this iron in a special travel heat-resistant bag which comes in the box. Remember about 2.4m long and 360° swivel cord – it adds to the iron’s usability. Finally, pay attention to auto shut-off function as it is a guarantee of your safety.
The Ancestor of Perm
Just like most modern technologies, the roots of the Perm run back to the ancient Egypt and Rome. Women of those countries used to a use a special substance made of soil and water to cover their hair, then wrapped each strand around a wooden stick and dried under the sun. The Greek women made a similar procedure, though, the mixture they used was a bit different by consistency and resembled a wax. It’s been only in the middle ages when hairdressers could try new styling technologies on wigs and discovered a curling effect of alkali liquid which afterward was widely used around the world.
More Products to Consider
If straight hair is what you crave for, we advise you to consider choosing one of best-selling hair straighteners.
Luxurious Curls with One Movement
If you think that you’d not be able to experiment with the curls using the same curling iron, try Remington CI98W1 and see different for yourself. The conical shape and variable barrel diameter allow trying on different looks, adding more volume, loosening or tightening the curls. Add to that a ceramic coating, and you’ll not recognize your hair. It will look extremely healthy, shiny and beautiful, just like you’ve always dreamt about. Remington CI96W1 curling wand boasts variable temperature settings for different hair types so that there's no chance that you may damage your hair.
Understanding the risk of occasional burns, the manufacturer has included a heat-resistant glove. What is more, the iron’s tip doesn’t heat, so you can even touch it while winding the locks. 3-metre swivel cord doesn’t limit your movements – a nice feature allowing you to style your hair or make a hairstyle for your friend. As soon as you finish styling, you can put the wand into a heat-resistant pouch. Besides, you can use it as a transportation bag whenever you plan a trip and want to take it with you.
Protect Your Hair
Taking into account that all people and more so girls do their best to look gorgeous every day, they usually use a wide array of electric tools on their hair - to straighten, to curl, to brush, to add volume and so on and so forth. Of course, if used only occasionally, you might do well and preserve a good hair look, but those who can't image their life without morning rituals styling hair should follow these safety measures in order to not make a harm and look beautiful no matter what:
- Before using any device for hair styling, read the instructions first.
- Choose appliances with a ceramic coating. Ceramics is considered pretty safe.
- Curl/straighten your hair only when it's dry.
- To avoid a negative effect of high temperatures, it’s recommended to use heat protective sprays.
- Treat your hair with moisturizers, oil, etc. not only before curling or straightening but regularly. Use hair shampoos, balms, conditioners, and masks. If you aren’t sure of the cosmetics you need, visit a professional salon or beauty shop and ask for advice.
More Products to Consider
Do you want your hair to grow faster and become thicker? Massage is one of the most effective ways to reach this goal. Choose a head massager to enjoy your healthy hair every day!
Safe Curling Without Burns
Are you looking for a curling iron that won’t harm your hair? Consider BaByliss curling wand. The manufacturer has done its best to provide you not only with high quality but also safe appliance. Five temperature settings allow you to choose the most suitable option according to your hair type. However, pay attention that the minimum temperature is 150°C. So, if your hair is thin and dry, it’s necessary to treat it with some protective spray before a curling procedure. When choosing a temperature, you can watch it on a display or wait until LED indicator lets you know the iron is heated up. There is no reason to worry about your fingers – you won’t be able to burn them either. Thanks to a heat-resistant glove sold together with the wand, you can touch even hot parts of the device. The last but not the least is the fact that the manufacturer has also taken care of your house safety. Forgot to turn the iron off before going to work? Don’t worry – auto shut-off function will stop the iron’s work in 72 minutes.
Electric Tools for Hair Styling. History
- The idea of curling hair with hot tools came to people in the 18th century. The first instruments for curling were hot iron sticks, though, some people even managed to use nails. The whole century had passed before inventors decided to create a special tool for curling. French hairdresser Marcel Grateau represented curling tongs in the 80s. By using these tongs (they had to be heated on a stove), it was possible to create an artificial wave which resembled natural curls. In 1882 Marcel Grateau opened his own beauty salon in the centre of Paris. As soon as his invention became popular, it was called after him, Marcel.
- The first prototype of a modern straightening brush was patented in 1906 by Simon Monroe. The tool featured metallic bristles for combing hair. A straightening iron we are used to nowadays (consisting of two iron panels) appeared in 1909.
- The first electric tongs for curling were invented by Eugene Sutter. It was a tool resembling a chandelier with electrically heated tubes.
- French company BaByliss represented a curling iron similar to the one we use nowadays in 1961. The device became so popular that the French still use the word BaByliss instead of curling iron.
- A famous Philips company invented the first hot rollers in the 1990s.
As you can see, professionals of beauty industry have made a lot of efforts to provide women with numerous tools to emphasise their beauty. And they still keep on creating new devices to perfect them.
To make your curls neat and smooth, you need to comb your hair first.
TONI & GUY TGIR1927
Professional Tong at Home
Professionals from TONI&GUY believe that a beautiful hairstyle is a big part of our appearance and therefore, provide numerous tools to let people experiment with the hair. Jumbo TONI&GUY Tong is one of them. It's rather big in diameter (38 mm) and thus, it's ideal for creating loosy, bouncy curls. Due to high maximum temperature that reaches 210°C, your curls won't lose their shape in a long while too, which is definitely another advantage of this model. Torumaline Colour Lock Technology protects hair colour and structure, giving it shiny look and smoothness. These tongs are also pretty safe in use. Just like most modern electric devices it's equipped with an auto shut-off function which automatically turns the unit off after it's not been in use for longer than 60 seconds. This way, you'll never have a reason to worry, even if you happen to leave it on.
Some Secrets of Ideal Hair
1. Brush your hair several times a day. Remember that brushing stimulates better blood circulation. As a result, hair grows faster and gets healthier.
2. A cold shower is another way to make your more beautiful. In comparison to hot shower which might make the hair dull, cold one contributes to faster cell regeneration and better blood circulation. A daily cold shower will make your hair bright and silky.
3. Did you know that hairdressers often recommend using a hair conditioner first and only then wash hair with shampoo? Although it might seem strange to us, professionals of beauty industry claim that this method protects, moistures and nourishes hair. One more secret of beautiful hair is the water containing some lemon juice or coconut oil. By rinsing your hair with such liquid, you’ll see wonderful results after several procedures.
4. Pay attention to what you eat. Our diet affects not only our body but hair as well. Lack of vitamins and minerals reflects on hair condition dramatically. If you have dry and thin hair with split ends, it’s time to change the way you eat. To keep your hair healthy, keep a balanced diet.
More Products to Consider
Want to protect your hair and make it brighter and healthier? Take care of it with a hair mask.
Andrew James Conical
Fast, Convenient, Safe
Do you want to get spiral or romantic curls in no time? Andrew James curling wand will assist you in reaching this aim. Conical shape allows making curls of different size so you can change your look every day. Wide temperature settings range makes it possible to style any hair, no matter thin or thick. If you worry about high temperature’s effect on your hair, calm down as ceramic coating is what protects it from damage. Moreover, you don’t need to spend much time on styling - 10 seconds is enough to curl one lock. Besides professional features, you’ll also be pleased with the iron’s usability. Taking care of your house safety, the manufacturer has equipped the wand with auto shut-off function. What's more, there is no chance to burn your fingers - the iron’s tip doesn’t get hot so you can hold the end of a lock during curling. However, if you prefer curls of equal width, a special heat-resistant glove is of the utmost importance (unfortunately, it doesn’t come together with the appliance, so you’ll need to buy it separately). One more significant element to add to the wand’s usability is soft touch handle. It lets you hold the device tightly and be sure it won’t slip.
Important to Know
Although curling is one of the simplest ways to style hair, there is a question – how to curl it right? There are several steps to do it properly.
- Separate your hair into two temple sections, frontal section and nape section. Clip the hair of each section with clips to avoid inconvenience while curling.
- Start curling your hair with nape section. Take a lock and turn it around the wand. As soon as you fix the lock in a necessary position, wait for 10-15 seconds and uncurl it.
- As soon as the nape section is curled, move to other sections towards your forehead.
- When you have all hair curled, style it with your fingers and treat with hair spray.
More Products to Consider
As we have already mentioned, this wand comes without a protective heat-resistant glove. So it’s better to take care of your safety and buy one.
1. Kelly Townsend How Does a Curling Iron Work? LEAF.
2. Hair Iron, Wikipedia. August 26, 2016.
3. Natalie Bell How Do Hair Straighteners And Curling Irons Work? FutureDerm. June 12, 2013.
4. Amanda Holstein The Real Difference Between a Curling Wand and a Curling Iron, POPSUGAR. April 18, 2015.
5. Amanda Holstein Everything You Need to Know About Your Curling Iron, Everygirl.
6. How to Choose a Curling Iron, wikiHow.
7. Anna Jimenez How to Curl Hair Like a Pro, TotalBeauty.
8. Julyne Derrick Curling Irons: What to Look for When Shopping for One, About. April 19, 2016.
9. Hair Straightener and Curling Iron Buying Guide, The Good Guys.